Admissions & Engagement Associate, Part-time
About the Museum
The Rubin Museum of Art is a dynamic environment that stimulates learning, promotes understanding, and inspires personal connections to the ideas, cultures, and art of the Himalayas.
Now in its second decade, the Rubin has welcomed over 200,000 visitors in the past year and has a growing membership of more than 4,000 households.
Within its five floors of galleries are several long-term rotating installations drawn from the permanent collection as well as frequent short-term exhibitions that are more broadly conceived. The Rubin’s collection includes over 3,500 objects spanning more than 1,500 years up to the present day. Renowned for its quality and depth, the collection focuses on art from the Tibetan Plateau and is broadened by a significant number of important examples from surrounding regions.
The Rubin presents films, performances, and on-stage conversations as well as a robust roster of other educational initiatives. The ground floor, anchored by its magnificent staircase, is free and open to all visitors and provides a lively nexus for conversation, shopping, refreshment and dining.
About the Position
The Admissions & Engagement Associate serves as the first point-of-contact with the visitors to the Museum. In addition, staffing the front desk and coat check areas; conducting daily admissions transactions; and actively encouraging participation in Museum activities are other important aspects of this position.
This is a part-time non-exempt position (no more than 20 hours per week) with a work week schedule as follows: Sundays 10:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.; Mondays 12:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.; and Fridays 3:30 p.m. to 10:30 with some flexibility required as needed.
The incumbent reports to the Manager of Admissions & Engagement.
- Welcomes and orients visitors by offering assistance in a warm and friendly manner, ensuring all programs, exhibitions and services are properly communicated to visitors.
- Maintains proper appearance of the front desk/coat check area including visitors’ Map Projector and inventory of brochures and other printed materials.
- Stores and retrieves parcels, coats, and other visitor items.
- Performs Entrance ticketing, Membership, and Programs Sales processing at the front desk via ACME.
- Performs financial reconciliation and cash management processes.
- Troubleshoots visitor problems, answers museum telephone line, and routes calls as necessary.
- Confirms all public signage is up-to-date and accurate.
- Evaluates visitor experience and recommends changes as needed.
- Monitors maintenance of Audio Tour devices and ensures daily charging, security and storage of recorded guide units.
- Attends relevant trainings to maintain understanding of upcoming exhibitions and programs.
- Represents the Museum as needed during special events and in welcoming tour groups.
- Data entry as assigned (in particular patron details for Raiser’s Edge)
- Assist in access efforts to ensure ADA compliance.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to work scheduled hours as follows: Sundays 10:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.; Mondays 12:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.; and Fridays 3:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.
- B.A. or B.S. degree from a four-year college or university strongly preferred. A student currently enrolled in a university/college program will be considered.
- Customer service related experience strongly preferred.
- Ability to learn and disseminate exhibition and programmatic related content – required.
- Must have a professional demeanor and be able to comfortably engage with members of the public.
- Knowledge of MS Office preferred.
- Well organized and detail-oriented.
- Strong oral communication skills.
- Ability to act with diplomacy.
- Some knowledge/experience with Himalayan art a plus.
Hourly rate $15.00
PLEASE PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING AS PART OF YOUR APPLICATION:
A cover letter addressing both your interest in the Rubin Museum and your qualifications for this position.
Indicate Admissions & Engagement Associate, PT on the Subject Line of email or in body of cover letter.
Applications in electronic format preferred and accepted at email@example.com.
Mailed applications – Manager, Human Resources, Rubin Museum of Art, 150 West 17th Street, New York, New York 10011