The Assistant Preparator is responsible for gallery preparation and maintenance, handling and installing works of art, and other movement of works of art within the museum and without.
In this role, you will…
• Prepare works of art for exhibition installation, including construction of exhibition furniture and/or locating and moving existing structure, and implementing designs for major exhibitions.
• Handle and move works of art in a proper and professional manner so as to ensure their safety.
• Maintain and refurbish gallery installations, including patching and painting walls and exhibition furniture.
• Install works of art within the museum and without.
• Prepare and mount labels for permanent and temporary galleries.
• Assist Head Preparator with other miscellaneous projects as needed.
• BA in studio art or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Minimum of one-year related work experience in museum or gallery.
• Knowledge of works of art and how to move them.
• Carpentry and painting skills.
• Good manual dexterity.
• Ability to stand for long periods of time and lift 75 pounds.
• Ability to operate hand and power tools, shop machines, winch, gantry and power hi-jack.
• Must fulfill criminal and motor vehicle background check requirements and have a valid driver’s license.
Who You Are
You are able to work at a quick pace when necessary. You’re a good listener and able to follow directions, while demonstrating good judgement in a dynamic environment. You are punctual and understand the importance of showing up on time.
You’re good at and enjoy…
• Working as part of a team.
• Working in a fast-paced environment; juggling changing priorities, multiple projects and deadlines.
The Minneapolis Institute of Art is an audience-focused workplace where everyone strives to provide excellent service and cultivate honest and positive relationships. Generosity, agility, emotional intelligence, positive energy, and driving results are the core values that define Mia’s culture. Successful employment at Mia includes full embrace and consistent demonstration of these values by all team members.
To be considered for this position, send a cover letter including your interest in the position, what you will bring to the position, and why you are the ideal candidate, along with a resume to [email protected]
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION / EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
About Minneapolis Institute of Arts
Home to more than 89,000 works of art representing 5,000 years of world history, the Minneapolis Institute of Art (Mia) inspires wonder, spurs creativity, and nourishes the imagination. With extraordinary exhibitions and one of the finest wide-ranging art collections in the country—Rembrandt to van Gogh, Monet to Matisse, Asian to African—Mia links the past to the present, enables global conversations, and offers an exceptional setting for inspiration.
General admission to Mia is always free. Some special exhibitions have an admission fee.