GoggleWorks Center for the Arts seeks a personable, detail-oriented conversationalist for the position of Community Ambassador, who will be responsible for providing outstanding guest experiences and internal support to all artists, arts partners, students, visitors and staff that frequent our spaces. Their driving purpose will be to deliver memorable interactions with each of our guests, leaving a positive, lasting impression of GoggleWorks which embodies our core values of: accessibility, collaboration and artistic and operational excellence. This position is multi-faceted with opportunities to expand into special projects or join GoggleWorks committees.
Time Commitment: 15-25 hours per week, dependent on availability.
Reporting: Community Ambassadors report directly to the Community Ambassador Manager.
– Passion for the visual arts, commitment to GoggleWorks’ mission and willingness to learn about and embrace the local community; prior familiarity with the Reading area a plus
– People-person with an outgoing, positive attitude and the ability to deal effectively and courteously with the public in occasionally stressful situations
– Organized, detail-oriented, proactive with the ability to manage competing priorities effectively and adapt quickly to change
– Professional and conversational, with strong oral and written communication skills; bilingual in English/Spanish highly desired
– Ability to work as a member of a team, as well as independently, to build relationships with both regular and first-time visitors
– Previous experience working in customer service required; experience in events, retail or education a plus
– Ability to use a point of sale system, handle cash, run credit card machine, manage end-of-day count, and daily deposits; experience with Square POS or Square for Retail a plus
– Capable of working a flexible schedule including some nights and weekends to accommodate a robust schedule of programming and events
– Experience with Google Suite (Gmail, Google Drive, Calendar, Sheets, Docs, etc.)
– Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel)
– Experience with WordPress a plus
– Create a welcoming atmosphere for every guest at GoggleWorks with an emphasis on delivering a consistent, positive experience to all
– Accurately complete sales including, but not limited, to memberships, gallery artwork, gift cards, studio rentals and materials purchases, concessions and film tickets as required
– Act as a spokesperson for the artists featured in our retail space and galleries by learning about their artwork and using that knowledge to engage with our guests
– Answer phones to resolve questions regarding GoggleWorks’ offerings, directing calls to the appropriate departments/persons when necessary
– Field in-person, phone, and email inquiries regarding GoggleWorks educational/group programs, contracts and special events and take registrations/process payments for a variety of offerings
– Maintain the appearance of our retail space by restocking as needed, updating signage, straightening and reorganizing our products, and routinely cleaning and /or polishing the artwork
– Arm and disarm our alarm system on a daily basis in addition to handling security protocols when the alarm is activated
– Provide administrative support when necessary to our Programs, Marketing and Events departments to ensure smooth daily operations
– Receive and distribute packages and shipments to both staff and tenants
How to Apply:
Please submit the following information to [email protected]
– Cover letter emphasizing your connection to our core values (listed in the description)
– Two professional references
GoggleWorks Center for the Arts is an equal opportunity employer regardless of race, color, religion, creed, sex, marital status, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, political affiliation, or belief. Employment decisions are made without consideration of these or any other factors that are prohibited by law.
About GoggleWorks Center for the Arts
A prime example of adaptive reuse in architecture, GoggleWorks derives its name from its origin as the Willson Goggle Factory, which opened in 1871 as the first factory in the U.S. to manufacture optical lenses. After a year-long renovation fulfilled by generous support from the community and state government, the abandoned factory was transformed into GoggleWorks Center for the Arts, opening our doors in 2005 as one of the largest comprehensive arts centers in the country. Today, GoggleWorks supports aspiring, emerging, and established artists through year-round arts education including: artist studios, workshops, classes, visiting artists, residencies, studio access, and exhibitions. Additionally, GoggleWorks offers a robust schedule of community programs and special events including: the annual Arts Festival Reading and Spring Iron Pour, monthly Spotlight Nights, and our After-School Arts Program. The campus is open daily from 9am-9pm. Admission and parking are always free.