The Visitor Experience (VE) Specialist is one of a staff team at The Contemporary Jewish Museum (The CJM) who provide welcoming and informative first contact with visitors including walk-up guests, tour groups, school groups, annual members, program audience members, and VIP’s. The CJM strives to provide a best in class experience to each visitor immediately upon arrival and throughout their stay.
The ideal candidate for this position will be a dependable individual with strong interpersonal and communications skills. Shifts for Visitor Experience Specialist work will be scheduled by the Visitor Experience Manager on an on–call basis which means that the Visitor Experience Specialist may be contacted when opportunities are available and may accept or decline the hours. The on–call status does not obligate The CJM to offer hours or obligate the Visitor Experience Specialist to accept hours offered. Work hours for this position will be variable.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Handle visitor access and hospitality at The CJM’s Shenson Welcome Center and throughout the Commons. Provide visitor orientation to The Museum and surrounding areas.
- Sell Museum admission tickets; process new and renewal memberships through a computer-based POS system. Process credit cards payments, coupons and cash transactions. Transact sales of exhibition catalogs and other merchandise.
- Answer questions and provide in-person guidance to visitors in The Museum and occasionally via e-mail. Resolve and document general complaints from guests and members.
- Stay informed about current and upcoming exhibitions, programs, and marketing campaigns.
- Monitor the visitor experience to ensure that requests and special needs are met; provide way-finding; and help visitors have an enjoyable and rewarding experience.
- Ensure visitor security and safety, coordinating any issues with other Visitor Experience and Security personnel.
Help maintain clean and organized public spaces; and assist with managing crowds at events and equipment or other facilities concerns as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience
- Minimum one year of experience in customer service, visitor services, retail or tourism environment
- Excellent customer service and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Organizational and accounting skills with a strong attention to detail
- Computer proficient, knowledge of online ticketing systems a plus
- Professional and cordial demeanor
- Enthusiastic, dependable, and flexible
Capable of responding to emergency situations such as assisting in building evacuation
Ability to work occasional weekend days and holidays, and some evening hours
The Contemporary Jewish Museum is an equal opportunity employer Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, The CJM will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary