This position serves as the curatorial and administrative assistant to the Director of Curatorial Affairs and Strategic Art Initiatives. The Curatorial Assistant is an integral member of the curatorial affairs team and will contribute to the division vision. A strong interest in and experience in American/Contemporary art is required. The successful candidate will have a passion for art and be very detailed oriented and organized.
- Assist with all art-related activities of Art Bridges, a collection-sharing initiative with the mission to share great works of American art across the country, especially with those who have had barriers of access.
- Assist with the office’s role as Museum Liaison to the University of Arkansas, contributing to collaborative partnerships and facilitating and maintaining internal and cross-institutional coordination between Crystal Bridges and the University.
- Ensure the office of the Director of Curatorial Affairs and Strategy Art Initiatives runs smoothly, including, but not limited to providing organization and tracking of projects and ongoing work; manage task pipeline; collaborate and coordinate across the museum and with external partners; scheduling meetings and travel; calendar management; responding to internal and external queries, maintain files, and preparing presentations.
- Assist with object and exhibition research and varied curatorial functions
- Prepare information and materials for varied constituencies
- Represent the office of Director of Curatorial Affairs and Strategic Art Initiatives and serves as liaison for the office as needed.
- Assist with preparation, production, maintenance and monitoring of budgets and reporting activities.
- Coordinate department’s interns and volunteers.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Skills:
- B.A. in Art History or related discipline required,
- Strong interest in American or Contemporary art
- 3 years’ work experience in museums, galleries, or other relevant art settings
- Demonstrated skill in organization and rigorous attention to detail
- Manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability to take initiative and exercise a high level of discretion
- Excellent oral, written and computer skills
- Exemplary research skills
- Understanding and experience in budget maintenance
- Excellent customer relations skills (in person and on the telephone)
- Positive attitude and collaborative spirit
- Ability to maintain highest levels of confidentiality and discretion
Equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience will satisfy the minimum requirements.
Licenses and Certifications:
Valid Driver’s License
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: In the work environment described below, position requires verbal and written conversation with others, sitting, standing, walking, bending, climbing, reaching, lifting/moving objects up to 10 pounds, and use of hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. Vision abilities required by the job include close vision.
Work environment: Work will be performed in an office environment, museum spaces, and in communities served. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate. Position may require some independent overnight travel. Occasionally the work schedule may include evenings and weekends.
About Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art
Crystal Bridges is a museum of American Art located in Bentonville, Arkansas. We explore the unfolding story of America by actively collecting, exhibiting, interpreting and preserving outstanding works that illuminate the American heritage and artistic possibilities.
We are passionate about transforming lives through experiences that encourage the discovery of new ideas, expanded dreams and inspired actions.
As an employee at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art, you will be empowered to think creatively, ask questions, and make suggestions to help move the institution forward.
Crystal Bridges is committed to creating an institution that reflects the diversity of our region and nation. We are especially mindful of those in our community impacted by inequity due to ability, language, class, age, gender, religion, sexuality, race and ethnicity, and are working diligently to address perceived and real barriers that keep anyone from fully experiencing the museum as a guest, volunteer, or employee. To achieve true reform, we must have a diverse, highly qualified team. Crystal Bridges is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to creating a diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.