Denver Museum of Contemporary Art
Director of Finance and Administration
The Museum of Contemporary Art Denver (MCA Denver) is seeking a Director of Finance and Administration (DFA), who is responsible for finance, accounting, general operations, and human resources. This position also provides financial reports and administrative support for the museum’s fundraising, earned income and programmatic functions. The DFA reports to the director and works closely with other members of the management team and Board of Trustees.
MCA Denver has more than doubled its visitation since 2014 and has greatly expanded its annual revenue and endowment in the last two years. The DFA is charged with building and leading a department to handle the ongoing needs of an organization that has experienced rapid growth. After assessing and articulating the needs of the organization in the areas of finance, accounting, human resources and administration, the individual will allocate resources and hire staff with the approval of the director to ensure healthy operations in these areas.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Financial Administration: oversee all activities related to the financial administration of the museum, including but not limited to reporting, loan management, audit coordination, forecasting, budgeting, compliance, accounts payable, reconciliation, investments, payroll and financial control. Drive the financial planning of the organization by analyzing performance and risk and forecasting position.
- Human Resources: oversee all aspects of human resources including employee benefits, compensation, payroll, performance management, professional development, and employee relations.
- Office Administration: oversee and execute activities related to administration, including office management, project management, contract negotiation and insurance.
- Board liaison: serve as primary staff liaison with Finance, Governance and Investment committees of the Board of Trustees, and coordinate regularly with the Board on topics and issues arising within the Finance and Administration department. Prepare financial materials and reports for meetings of the Board of Trustees and present to the Board at quarterly meetings and monthly committee meetings.
- Strong command of nonprofit finance and accounting principles
- Experience developing and managing budgets, forecasting, project management, coordinating audits, and loan management.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, including the ability to translate financial terms to non-financial staff
- Experience working with creative types and an appreciation for wide range of issues explored in contemporary art
- Demonstrated ability to promote teamwork and open communication – between and among museum staff and with the Board of Trustees
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, clear motivational abilities, and strong written and oral communication skills
- The candidate must have an expert knowledge of Quickbooks, proficiency with POS systems, Excel, PowerPoint (and/or Keynote), and comfort with computer database systems
MCA DENVER’S MISSION
MCA Denver explores the art and culture of our time through rotating exhibitions and public educational programs. Featuring regional, national and international artists, MCA Denver offers a wide range of exhibitions promoting creative experimentation with art and ideas. Through adult and youth education programs and other creative events, the museum serves as an innovative forum for a culturally engaged community.
Candidates of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.