An Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution and AAM accredited, the Japanese American National Museum (www.janm.org) is recognized as one of the nation’s premier cultural museums. The National Museum is located adjacent to the Metro Gold Line in the Little Tokyo/Arts district in downtown Los Angeles, a neighborhood that has experienced an exciting revitalization with diverse new restaurants, shops, luxury apartments, and nightlife.
The Development Associate provides administrative support to the Development Department team members. The Development Office is responsible for philanthropic revenue of the museum. The Development Associate primary function are to maintain donor database and assist with donor services to ensure the team’s ability to meet annual fundraising goals and serve the organization mission.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred;
- at least 2 year experience working in a museum, nonprofit, academic or cultural organization;
- experience in fundraising environment highly preferred.
- Knowledge of Japanese surnames, and Japanese American history and culture a plus.
- Requires occasional evening and weekend hours to support National Museum functions and events.
- Demonstrated writing skills to compose correspondence and proofread letters and other materials.
- Ability to deliver high level customer service with excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills to interact with diplomacy and tact;
- able to maintain positive relations with a wide variety of internal and external constituents.
- Previous experience working with and motivating volunteers a plus.
- Able to successfully juggle and re-prioritize multiple assignments in a fast-paced, changing work environment.
- Proficiency using MS Office and 10-key calculator is required, experience with Altru database preferred and familiarity with Gmail beneficial.
- Clear Criminal background & Credit check will be required.
- museum, non-profit, or cultural institution work: 3 years
- Administrative Support: 3 years
- Fundraising work: 2 years
- Altru or similar donor database: 2 years
- Los Angeles, CA 90012
Required work authorization:
- United States
Benefits: Medical, Dental, ERISA 403(b), FSA, 12 paid holidays, sick and vacation time; on-site parking, discounts in museum store and on-site Chado tea room.
Visit www.janm.org/jobs/ for application form. EOE.
Submit: Cover Letter, employment application form and resume with references
Japanese American National Museum
Attn: Human Resources,
Re: Development Associate
100 N. Central Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90012
No Phone Calls Please
No Paid Relocation
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $15.00 /hour