The Museum of the City of New York fosters understanding of the distinctive nature of urban life in the
world’s most influential metropolis. It engages visitors by celebrating, documenting, and interpreting the
city’s past, present and future.
The Museum seeks a part-time temporary Digital Imaging Assistant for a six-month grant funded
position to digitize approximately 8,500 flexible images from the LOOK Magazine Collection. The
position directly reports to the LOOK Project Assistant Photo Archivist. Permanent full-time staff
overseeing the project include the Director of Collections, Curator of Prints and Photographs, and
Collections Access Archivist.
- Review and evaluate approximately 2,000 groups of negatives related to particular
- assignments captured by various photographers for LOOK magazine, using a lightbox, in order to select a representative selection.
- Operate an Epson Flatbed scanner to scan flexible film negatives and color transparencies of various sizes.
- Execute post production on all scanned images.
- Ability to adhere to strict schedule and meet monthly milestones for digital image capture and post-production.
- Bachelor’s degree in photography (current BFA students with equivalent technical training /experience may also apply).
- Expertise in Adobe Photoshop.
- Experience with an Epson flatbed film scanner or similar equipment and digitization of transparent media.
- Experience handling objects in special collections, flexible film.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, highly organized, and ability to work collaboratively.
As this position is grant funded, the hourly wage of $15/hour is not negotiable. The specific
position term is for 550 hours, to be completed over six months (approximately three days/ week).
This position does not receive benefits.
Please send resume with cover letter and salary requirements to the Museum of the City of New
York, Attention: Human Resources Department, 1220 Fifth Avenue, New York, New York 10029
or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. To be considered, please include Digital Imaging Assistant within
the subject line of your email.
The Museum of the City of New York is committed to fostering a collaborative and respectful work
environment with a staff as diverse as New York City and the audiences who are curious about learning
more about its history and engaging in contemporary urban issues. Our staff members are dedicated to
working towards a common goal: creating the most dynamic and inspiring city museum in the world.
The Museum of the City of New York is an equal opportunity employer. As such, the museum provides
equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants without unlawful discrimination with
respect to age, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender identification, marital status,
military status or veteran, national origin, political association, political/personal convictions, predisposing
genetic characteristics, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, geographic location,
philosophies, or any other classification protected by federal, state or local laws, in all employment
decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, training, compensation, promotion, demotion,
transfer, lay-off, and termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. All employment-
related decisions are based solely on relevant criteria including training, experience, and suitability.