Director of Operations & Visitor Experience
POSITION/TITLE: Director of Operations & Visitor Experience
DEPARTMENT: Visitor Services
FULL TIME/PART TIME: Full-time
MYM’s Director of Operations & Visitor Experience is responsible for putting the magic in the museum experience! This full-time position is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Monterey County Youth Museum (MY Museum). The position will report directly to the Executive Director. The ideal candidate will be responsible for managing and motivating non-exempt staff, ensuring a positive guest experience and providing a rich calendar of classes and workshops for all guests and members. Daily activities include interacting with a diverse group of visitors, implementing policies and working closely with all staff to ensure that the daily operations of the Museum are seamless.
Major Tasks and Responsibilities
- Oversee daily operations of MY Museum facility and programs.
- Set goals and achievement benchmarks.
- Work with Executive Director, Educators and staff to plan program and event calendars.
- Implement and achieve the goals and objectives set by the Board of Directors.
- Evaluate and expand program and education department.
- Oversee the operation of the front of house admissions area, which includes daily ticket sales, membership sales, new visitor orientation, and ongoing customer service.
- Manage front line staff including Visitor Experience Managers, Visitor Experience Associates, and Wheelie Mobilee (mobile outreach unit) staff and volunteers. Hire, train, and supervise staff to ensure the highest level of customer service is provided at all times.
- Work with the Executive Director to develop and implement short-term operational goals as well as long-term strategic plans and goals.
- Prepare and manage the operations and personnel budgets for the museum. Track admission revenue and analyze trends.
- Lead and implement visitor data tracking including experience surveys, attendance trends and membership usage reports.
- Manage training and business practices related to Versai, MY Museum’s point of sale membership software, and other computer systems.
- Oversee website and social media platforms with visitor-related content.
- Work with the bookkeeper to oversee cash-handling procedures and maintain accurate financial records. Supervise point of sale and online transaction and register closeouts.
- Inspect and monitor (“walk the floor”) the museum’s facilities to ensure that the exhibits are working properly, the museum is in good condition, and visitors are being best served.
- Personally assist visitors with questions, comments and needs.
- Plan and ensure daily programs are successful. Book external talent and educators as needed.
- Ensure that opening, closing and cleaning procedures meet current health/safety standards and are followed by all staff.
- Repair broken exhibits. Schedule contractors as needed.
- Run necessary reports as needed from museum database.
- Participate in weekend/evening events as needed.
- Assist in administering an annual budget in excess of $500,000.
- Encourage and strive to keep a pleasant atmosphere with staff as well as visitors.
- This position is ultimately responsible for the entire visitor experience, on the phones and in person.
- Additional Duties as Required.
Experience/ Education/ Qualifications
- Bachelors degree plus a minimum of three to five years of experience in a customer service, education or museum environment.
- Experience in a managerial role, supervising staff and fostering accountability.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills and the ability to work effectively as both a team leader and a team member.
- Project management skills, attention to detail and follow-through capabilities.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and work with tight deadlines.
- Must be available to work weekends and after-hours events as needed.
- Experience working with children & families.
- Flexible and passionate about working with youth in a museum setting.
- Bonus: Graphic design experience. Basic communication in Spanish.
Please send your resume for consideration no later than February 25th. We are hoping to fill the position by the end of the month. Make sure to write “Director of Visitor Experience” in the subject line of your e-mail. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Starting salary of $50,000 based on experience. Benefits not provided at this time. We look forward to meeting you!
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $50,000.00 /year
- management: 2 years (Required)
- rock star customer service: 2 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- United States (Preferred)