The Mt. Kearsarge Indian Museum in Warner, NH, is looking for experienced museum educators and tour guides for its upcoming busy season September 1st through December 15th, 2018.
Mt. Kearsarge Indian Museum, Education and Cultural Center in Warner, New Hampshire, is dedicated to connecting people of today with 20,000 years of ongoing Native American cultural expression. The Museum embraces cultural diversity and encourages responsible environmental action based on respect for nature. Through exhibitions and programs, the Museum seeks to challenge and inspire all of us to improve the quality of our lives and our world.
Museum Educators and Guides conduct guided tours of the Museum and Medicine Woods and teach educational programming for school and public groups.
The Museum Educator and Tour Guide is responsible for teaching exciting, high-quality educational programs and interpretative tours according to the highest standard of the museum’s potential. This part-time, hourly, non-exempt position offers a unique opportunity to practice a wide range of skills by leading innovative, interdisciplinary activities, and connecting people of all ages with the museum’s collection. The Educator is instrumental in strengthening visitors’ appreciation of Mt Kearsarge Indian Museum and Medicine Woods with diverse topics in Native culture, art, and historical interpretation. The museum delivers programs to all age groups; majority of events are family-friendly. The Educator and Tour Guide must be available to work weekdays and weekends; scheduling and number of hours worked per week will be seasonally flexible,and you could work anywhere from 3 hours a week to 20 hours a week. Availability Sunday through Saturday, but currently looking for more weekdays.
- Creative, motivated, and enthusiastic with strong can-do attitude; excellent public presentation skills; makes learning a fun adventure!
- Experience in museum setting and/or classroom settings preferred, but not necessary. Comfortable speaking with groups and individuals
- Experience with teaching and guiding techniques. Demonstrated skill in creating age-appropriate materials for many learning styles, including knowledge of hands-on, inquiry-based learning theories is preferred. Training will be available.
- Reliable and punctual a must; able to multi-task and manage time effectively in a small but busy workplace
- Give tours to visitors
- Teach educational programming through tours and hands-on activities
- Help oversee daily operations in the museum, including opening/closing and cleaning a must.
- May help with the museum’s yearly changing gallery
- Interpreting the museum’s collections
- Furthering knowledge in the best practices of museum education
- Undertakes or assists any special projects at the request of the Education Specialist or Director.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter detailing specific interest and resume with three references. Great for Retirees, Mothers Hours, or College Students. No Phone Calls Please.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $8.50 to $9.00 /hour
- education: 1 year
- Warner, NH