Liberty Science Center (LSC) is currently seeking a part-time Exhibit Technician to join our Exhibition Operations & Maintenance team. The Exhibit Technician will focus on the daily care and upkeep of all exhibitions featured at LSC, including temporary and featured exhibits. The Exhibit Technician must diagnose, troubleshoot (usually in the public areas), and research successful solutions for exhibit issues.
The Exhibit Technician will report to the Exhibit Operations Manager
What You’ll Bring
You have a thorough understanding and knowledge of electrical, mechanical, and computer hardware/software. You are initiative and creative when it comes to problem-solving. You take pride in providing exceptional customer services. You are able to work collaboratively, as well as independently.
What You’ll Do
– Be responsible for daily operations of all LSC’s exhibits, including daily start-up and shut-down, and ensuring all exhibits are operationally functional during all times the building is open to the public, including evening and private events
– Respond to daily calls from the front-line exhibit floor staff and volunteers regarding assistance with exhibit operation and maintenance issues
– Troubleshoot electrical and mechanical problems down to the component level to determine the root cause of any issues and recommend corrective action
– Operate oscilloscopes, generators, meters, hand & power tools; service & test computers, and understand their use and function
– Develop, test, implement, evaluate, and track preventative maintenance programs for exhibits
– Provide support for Exhibit Production staff and outside firms in the installation/dismantle of LSC exhibits
– Participate in project teams and provide technical and creative input
– Assist with record keeping of exhibit files and histories
– Clean exhibits as required
– Monitor supply inventories
– Other responsibilities, as needed
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
– Comfortable working with a wide variety of tools, including power tools, hand tools, soldering irons, DVM (Digital Video Manager), while guaranteeing safety at all times
– Ability to read and understand schematics and product & maintenance manuals
– Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills on electrical, and mechanical systems
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills
– Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects while ensuring quality of work
– Strong organizational skills, including work space
– Knowledge of PLCs is a plus
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
– College degree or equivalent education (technical or trade school) required
– Requires 1-2 years of experience in at least one of more of the following: computer diagnostics, mechanics, wood/plastic/metal working, plumbing, lighting or electrical work.
– Knowledge of shop equipment is a plus.
– Knowledge of or keen interest in science-related topics is a plus.
Work Culture at a Glimpse
This is a part-time position, working approximately 10+ hours per week. Must be able to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, special projects, and holiday coverage.
May require light travel. Driver’s license in good standing is preferred.
Liberty Science Center is located in a beautiful waterfront state park in Jersey City, New Jersey. Not only is Jersey City easy to get to from any points in Northern NJ and Manhattan, but it also holds the title of the most diverse city in the United States. Employees have access to free parking, the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, and the NJ Path train. Exhibit Technicians spend a significant portion of each day working on the exhibition floors checking on exhibits, and/or responding to operations/maintenance calls. The Exhibit Technician shares an office space with the Exhibit Production team with moderate lighting and noise.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Exhibit Technician is required to be on their feet the majority of the day and use their hands to manipulate tools and materials. The Exhibit Technician will need to perform diagnostics. The Exhibit Technician should be comfortable working at various heights, including working on ladders. Furthermore, the Exhibit Technician should be comfortable maneuvering through large crowds. The ability to lift 40 lbs. will be necessary. Training will be provided to the Exhibit Technician for the safe operation of a scissor lift.
What We Offer
Liberty Science Center provides generous benefits and perks for all eligible part-time employees, including:
– Paid time off
– 25% discount for staff in the LSC store
– 25% discount in on-site cafeteria
– LSC Family Membership
– On-site yoga for $12/class
– Free Parking
Please submit a resume and cover letter highlighting why you are a perfect fit for this position.
Liberty Science Center is proud to provide an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, genetics, gender identity, or veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the location where we operate.
LSC actively supports Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.
To find out more, visit lsc.org or follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter.
About Liberty Science Center
With 750,000 annual visitors, Liberty Science Center (lsc.org) is the most-visited cultural institution in New Jersey and the largest interactive science museum in the NJ-NYC metropolitan region. The Science Center’s mission is to excite learners of all ages, particularly K-12 students, about the power, promise, and pure fun of science and technology and inspire them to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering, and math.