The Virginia Museum of History & Culture (VMHC) seeks a qualified candidate for the position of Exhibition Coordinator. This individual serves as a part of the Exhibitions & Publications Division, reports directly to the Manager of Exhibitions Production and is tasked with assisting in the fabrication, installation, de-installation, maintenance, and refurbishment of the museum’s long-term, changing, and special exhibitions. The Exhibition Coordinator manages the VMHC’s traveling exhibition program, supports design and curatorial staff in acquiring rights and reproductions for images to be used in museum exhibitions and serves as one of the museum’s artifact handlers.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Prepares VMHC galleries for exhibitions, including patching, painting, setup of display cases, and the installation of artifacts.
• Assists the exhibit designer in the production of exhibition furniture, components, and mounts.
• Works with the VMHC exhibit designer and curators to secure high-resolution image rights and reproductions for use in exhibitions.
• Oversees day-to-day management of the museum’s traveling exhibition program including working with marketing staff to advertise available exhibitions through mailings, email, and the VMHC website; maintaining and updating a database of potential exhibition venues; overseeing the exhibition schedule; preparing contracts; issuing invoices for shipping and rental fees; and serving as point of contact with exhibition venues.
• With support from the Collections Division, creates and organizes condition reports, crating, and installation notebooks, travels to venues during exhibition check-in and check-out as well as periodically to ensure environmental and condition requirements are being met and develops evaluation and reporting forms for the traveling exhibition program.
• Performs other duties as assigned
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Museum Studies, Art History, or similar field required; two years’ minimum experience in an art gallery, archive or museum setting; and an authentic interest in the mission and work of the VMHC.
• Experience in properly and safely handling museum and archival collections
• Experience in safely and expertly operating shop, hand, and power tools including band saws, table saws, drill presses, miter saws, lifts, and other equipment
• Well-organized, methodical, able to work with limited supervision
• Ability to work at varying heights and on ladders
• Capable of lifting a minimum of 50 pounds
About Virginia Museum of History & Culture
The Virginia Museum of History & Culture is owned and operated by the Virginia Historical Society — a private, non-profit organization established in 1831. The historical society is the oldest cultural organization in Virginia, and one of the oldest and most distinguished history organizations in the nation. For use in its state history museum and its renowned research library, the historical society cares for a collection of nearly nine million items representing the ever-evolving story of Virginia.
The Virginia Museum of History & Culture is an Equal Opportunity Employer.