History Nebraska is seeking a collaborative and curious Exhibits Manager to plan, coordinate, and develop exhibitions at the Nebraska History Museum and other sites managed by History Nebraska.
The Exhibits Manager will play a critical role in creating an engaging visitor experience. Collaborating with curators, educators, and the collections division, the manager will develop, manage, and maintain exhibits.
History Nebraska is a statewide educational institution that connects people to the past through our library and research center, conservation facility, interpretive sites, and the state archeology and historic preservation offices. History Nebraska preserves and interprets our state’s past, contributes to the education of its citizens, and uses the tools of history to shape a better future for all Nebraskans.
History Nebraska values curiosity, and we are retooling our programs and exhibits to grow curiosity in our visitors. Each of our sites has unique stories to tell, and the Nebraska History Museum (where this position is based) hosts diverse community-centered exhibitions.
· Manages all aspects of exhibit creation, including script development, design, fabrication and installation for all History Nebraska’s permanent and temporary exhibitions including traveling exhibitions developed and curated by History Nebraska.
· Manages the exhibition calendar and leads planning and development meetings.
· Works with the curatorial staff to locate appropriate artifacts/objects/documents for use in an exhibition.
· Works with education and curatorial staff to ensure core exhibition learning and visitor engagement objectives are met.
· Uses evaluation in exhibition development and implementation to meet objectives for effective exhibitions the serve visitor needs and makes recommendations for changes or improvements.
· Develops exhibition agreements with outside cultural partners, other museums, and lenders.
· Assigns and monitors the work activities of exhibit support staff to ensure objectives are met.
· Maintains inventory and restocks exhibit unit supplies and equipment; orders supply and equipment as necessary.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
· Knowledge of museum exhibit design and installation
· Ability to work creatively and innovate new and interesting ways to present art, artifacts, and didactic information
· Strong organization skills; ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to project and monitor costs and maintain project budget
· Ability to organize and direct the work of others
· Ability to partner with outside contractors, vendors, other parties
· Curiosity and interest in Nebraska history
Bachelor’s degree in history, art, architecture, graphic design, interior design, anthropology or museum studies, plus three years’ experience in exhibition development, design and coordination.
PREFERRED: Master’s degree in one of the above fields and demonstrated experience with community engagement and exhibition evaluation.