The Division of Education Programs is designed to strengthen sustained, thoughtful study of the humanities at all levels of education through grants to educational institutions. Under the supervision of the Deputy Director, the incumbent works with potential applicants in the development of proposals, helps to carry out the evaluation of applications, and participates in administrative, financial, program policy, and other matters for the division.
Reviews grants and assesses eligibility and consistency with Endowment policy.
Arranges for review and evaluation of grant proposals by peer review panelists.
Presents Division policies, procedures, and funding recommendations orally and in writing to internal and external audiences.
Represents the division at professional meetings.
Promotes the work of the Division and larger goals of the Endowment to outside constituents.
Works collaboratively with other Division staff members to accomplish these duties.
Conducts site visits to promote the division’s programs and to evaluate the accomplishments of the current projects it supports.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
1701 General Education And Training
Conditions of Employment
Relevant experience and/or education
Favorable background investigation
Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered with the Selective Service
As part of the online application process you will need to respond to a series of questions designed to assess your possession of the following knowledge, skills, abilities, and/or competencies:
At the GS-12 level Qualified candidates must possess:
1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 level or equivalent experience.
Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the line of work of the position to be filled and which has equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position, for example: experience working in secondary and higher education, teaching classes in the humanities, working in education programming, curriculum development, or in an advanced education position in a museum or historical society. In all cases, work in the humanities should have been performed with wide latitude for the exercise of independent judgment, requiring somewhat extended professional training and expertise.
At the GS-13 level Qualified candidates must possess:
1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 level or equivalent experience.
Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the line of work of the position to be filled and which has equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position, for example: experience working in secondary and higher education, teaching classes in the humanities, working in education programming, curriculum development, or in an advanced education position in a museum or historical society. Specialized experience may also include additional experience working in a grant-making office or institution or working with and managing education grants.
Selective Placement Factor: In addition to the specialized experience listed above, applicants must also possess the following in order to be found minimally qualified for the position.
1. An advanced degree in American history, political science, or government.
2. Secondary school teaching experience within the past ten (10) years
An M.A. from an accredited institution in a discipline of the humanities (Ph.D. preferred).
1. If you are an eligible Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) applicant you may apply for special selection over other candidates for this position. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85 or above on the rating criteria for this position. ICTAP eligibles must submit one of the following as proof of eligibility for the special selection priority: a separation notice; a “Notice of Personnel Action” (SF-50) documenting separation; an agency certification that you cannot be placed after injury compensation has been terminated; an OPM notification that your disability annuity has been terminated; OR a Military Department or National Guard Bureau notification that you are retired under 5 U.S.C. 8337(h) or 8456.
2. If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-point veterans’ preference, you must attach a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans’ preference, you must attach an SF-15, “Application for 10-Point Veterans’ Preference” plus the proof required by that form.
3. If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/59 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency.
4. You can apply for a non-competitive appointment if you meet the basic eligibility requirements and you are eligible for special appointment such as those authorized for the severely disabled; certain Vietnam era and disabled veterans; returned volunteers from the Peace Corps or Vista, etc. Please indicate the type of special appointment you are seeking, if any, on your application and follow all other instructions for applying shown in this announcement.
5. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. Additional information on the qualification requirements is outlined in the OPM Qualifications Standards Handbook of General Schedule Positions. It is available for your review in our office, in other Federal agency personnel offices, and on OPM’s web site at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/1700/general-education-and-training-series-1701/.
6. This position may require completion of a 1-year trial period.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will review your résumé and supporting documentation and compare this information to your responses on the occupational questionnaire to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You will be further evaluated against job-related criteria and placed in one of three pre-defined categories:
Best Category – Meets the basic qualification requirements for the vacancy announcement and has successful experience in the same or similar job that has demonstrated outstanding proficiency in applying knowledge, skill, and ability in the critical competencies for this position.
Better Category – Meets the basic qualification requirements for the vacancy announcement and demonstrates proficiency in the critical competencies for this position.
Qualified Category – Meets the specialized experience outlined in the minimum qualifications requirements section of the vacancy announcement.
Any exaggeration of an applicant’s experience, false statements, or attempts to conceal information may be grounds for rating an applicant ineligible, not hiring the applicant, or for termination after he/she begins work. If a determination is made that in responding to the competency-based question an applicant has rated themselves higher than is evident in their resume, experience, and/or education, the applicant’s score may be manually adjusted by a Human Resource Specialist.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS will receive a rating of IFM (ineligible due to missing forms). Requests for reconsideration will not be considered for applicants who fail to submit a complete application package. We cannot be held responsible for incompatible software, fax transmissions, etc.
Only send documentation as requested/required by this announcement and that directly supports your qualifications for this position.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Writing Sample (No less than 800 words; recent publications acceptable)
NOTE: A writing sample related to a humanities theme topic is required and must be submitted in addition to the online application process described above. (Please upload this document through application manager in the area of the document section labeled Writing Sample). Failure to submit this document may disqualify you from further consideration.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.