MOXI, The Wolf Museum of Exploration + Innovation, is seeking a dynamic, creative, full-time Floor Staff Manager for its 25,000 square-foot facility in Santa Barbara, CA. The Floor Staff Manager is responsible for supervising the MOXI floor educator team of “Sparks,” which consists of both part-time paid staff and volunteer adults and teens.
- Recruit, hire, schedule, and manage a pool of enthusiastic, part-time paid “Spark” floor educators. Periodically review and evaluate staff performance.
- Recruit, schedule, and manage a pool of enthusiastic volunteer adult “Spark” floor educators who engage with MOXI’s youngest audience and their caregivers through the volunteer-managed Early Childhood Development program.
- Recruit, schedule, and manage a pool of enthusiastic volunteer teen “Spark” floor educators who work alongside the part-time paid “Sparks” to engage with MOXI’s guests during summer and holiday breaks and weekends throughout the year.
- Develop and manage a robust teen volunteer program with monthly workshops geared towards developing leadership and professional skills and increasing science and engineering knowledge.
- Work with Manager of Informal Learning to develop and implement training for both paid and volunteer staff.
- Serve as Manager on Duty (MOD) at least 1 day per week.
- Manage floor staff database, records, and correspondence.
- Develop ways to recognize and reward volunteer engagement.
- Collaborate on and provide support for education department programs.
- Participate on the Curriculum & Teaching Methods Team to develop and implement innovative strategies for learning; the Staff Training Team to develop and implement on-going training for staff and volunteers; and the Learning Research & Evaluation Team to develop and implement methods for evaluating informal learning outcomes for staff, volunteers, and MOXI guests.
- Be present in the public spaces, directly observing the quality of the guest learning experience on a frequent basis. Identify ways to improve accessibility and inclusion.
- Manage the payroll budget and expense budget associated with the floor staff program.
- Collaborate closely with other members of management to ensure readiness for handling building evacuations, guest injuries, and other potential emergency situations.
- Other duties as assigned
Experience, Required Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor of Arts or Science degree required. Science or education field preferred.
- 3+ years of experience managing a strong and diverse team of employees.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Spanish fluency a plus.
- Passion for creating a world-class museum that is recognized as a truly outstanding educational experience.
- Enthusiasm for working in an organization where change is frequent, structure is evolving, and flexibility, teamwork, and good humor are absolute necessities.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications and ability to learn new systems and adapt with emerging technologies.
- Awareness of issues relating to access and inclusion and the ability to build inclusive and accessible programs.
- This position requires 5 days/week of onsite work, including at least one weekend day per week (day TBD). Hours and work schedule may vary seasonally.
- Schedule and availability reflect that the organization is a 7-day a week operation with periodic early morning and evening programs.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required.
- This position requires the ability to be highly organized and timely; bend, squat, and lift up to 40 lbs; work with multiple technologies; stand for extended periods of time; troubleshoot and problem solve; and communicate effectively and courteously with a variety of people verbally and in writing.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made in order to allow individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to Apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. This is a regular, full-time, exempt management position that includes benefits. Candidates should expect to undergo and be cleared of an employment background/criminal check and be asked to provide proof of educational degree(s) or credentials pertinent to the position, if extended an offer for employment. Please send a cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
MOXI is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.
About MOXI The Wolf Museum of Exploration + Innovation
MOXI opened in early 2017 in the heart of Santa Barbara’s downtown community with a mission to ignite learning through innovative, interactive experiences in science and creativity. In its first year, MOXI welcomed 200,000 visitors and engaged 4,500 members. Through playful interaction with our enthusiastic staff and open-ended exhibits, MOXI guests explore, think, and design creatively, forming their own questions and discovering their own answers. MOXI staff guides guests in developing skills such as formulating and asking questions, experimenting and observing, building and using models for understanding, finding associations and connections, designing and testing…skills necessary for exploration, learning, and innovation.
What We Offer
MOXI is a creative, collaborative, inquisitive, fun environment in which staff members continuously learn, learn about learning, and innovate new ways to learn and learn about learning. We play with the latest technology, create learning tools, and collaborate with diverse members of an extremely talented community for powerful ideation. We strive to get people thinking, learning, exploring, discovering, making, solving, designing, experimenting, observing, and innovating. We embrace failure and celebrate success. MOXI is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.