DAWSON is a Native Hawaiian Organization 8(a) small business that brings the Spirit of Aloha to our employees. As part of the DAWSON “Ohana”, you will be provided a best-in-class benefits program that strives to ensure our great people have peace of mind when it comes to health and wellness. For more information about DAWSON and our benefits programs, please visit www.dawson8a.com.
The Exhibits Graphics Specialist position is at the National Mueseum of Health and Medicine in Silver Spring, MD. This position supports the exhibits, communications, and programming needs of the museum. The specialist ensures consistent application of museum branding across all divisions, programs and activities. The specialist applies specialized knowledge in graphic design to deliver quality exhibition and communications products in support of the museum’s goals.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• In coordination with the Exhibits Manager, the specialist develops and facilitates production of exhibits and ensures that the museum’s exhibit development, production, and installation process is followed.
• Works closely with museum staff to develop and produce a wide variety of graphics-based work products, as needed.
• Assists with the solicitation of internal and external exhibit proposals for permanent and temporary exhibit installations.
• Using Adobe InDesign and related software generates concept drawings, models, and case-layout sketches.
• Using Adobe InDesign and other or related software in use by NMHM, generates general and specific communication tools for the NMHM, including posters, banners, concept drawings, models, automations, animations, and case-layout sketches; also providing detailed construction drawings to exact scale, determining best material, finishes, and color to use to achieve articulated objectives.
• Uses large format printers, vinyl cutters, and laminators to produce exhibit graphics and collaterals
• Depending on team requirements, assumes the role of project manager or exhibit designer.
• Assists with the coordination of exhibit production with outside production companies.
• Exercises responsibility for project management and exhibit design, including keeping exhibit development process on track and on budget, generating time and cost records as required.
• Coordinates with museum registrar, conservator, and collections staff to ensure that objects are displayed appropriately.
• Assists with the tracking of project and department budgets.
• Monitors and maintains inventory of exhibit, graphic, and general office supplies.
• Provides subject matter expertise to all areas of museum mission, when requested.
• Attends regular meetings, or attends other meetings as needed or directed.
Job Requirements and Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree and advanced education in graphic design.
• 5 years of demonstrable experience in exhibition development, design, or productions is required, demonstrating knowledge of the current practices in exhibition development and graphics and the use of electronic tools for prototyping, demonstrating, conceptualizing, and planning exhibitions and their prototypes.
• Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suites that includes InDesign, PhotoShop, Illustrator and Poster Shop Software.
• Ability to operate HP Design Jet series printers, 62 Ultra S Seal Laminator, and other graphic design equipment.
• Position requires portfolio review
• Master’s degree in exhibition, design or related field.
• Experience in exhibit design, production, and fabrication.