Under work direction from the Principal Preparator and other full-time staff, performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilled duties in the preparation, fabrication, installation, and disassembly of exhibit displays and furniture. The As-Needed Preparator works in close association with a full time staff member whenever involved in direct handling of an art object.
The nature of the work involves heavy lifting, manual dexterity, and the ability to assist in the handling of delicate, valuable, and irreplaceable art objects with extreme care.
An As-Needed Preparator provides assistance to the Preparation department during periods of peak workload or on special projects. He/she must be willing to work on temporary assignments varying in the number of hours and days.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
1. Assists in the preparation, hanging, installation, and deinstallation of art objects utilizing proper handling and security techniques.
2. Paints and/or constructs walls, platforms, pedestals, and other exhibition fixtures.
3. Assists in the loading and unloading of art objects.
4. Performs various skilled and semi-skilled tasks including working with power tools, adhesives, and metals.
5. Participates in general shop operations including cleaning, and organization of shop spaces.
- Two (2) years of experience in installation of exhibits displays including the installation of three dimensional objects in conjunction with wire object mounts; or a relevant combination of education, training, and experience
- Knowledge and skill in the use and care of standard hand and power tools; practices and methods of exhibit installation; safe work practices related to the installation of art
- Ability to problem solve and work well under pressure with conflicting demands
- Ability to lift and move heavy objects up to 75 lbs and at heights up to 6 feet
- Extremely flexible, reliable, and dependable; integrity and sense of humor
$24.7564 per hour
*The Asian Art Museum is one of the largest museums in the Western world devoted exclusively to Asian art and culture. Home to more than 18,000 works of art from over 40 Asian countries, we strive to be a catalyst for discovery, dialogue, and inspiration. With Asia as our lens and art as our cornerstone, we spark connections across cultures and through time, igniting curiosity, conversation, and creativity. *
The Asian Art Museum embraces diversity in its mission, programs, and staff.