Position Title: Programs & Education Assistant (Part-time)
Department: Robert R. McCormick House at Cantigny Park
Position Reports To: Jeff Anderson, Interpretation Manager & Volunteer Coordinator
Location: Cantigny Park, Wheaton, IL
About Robert R. McCormick House
The McCormick House is an historic house museum that was once the home of Chicago Tribune editor and publisher Robert R. McCormick. Robert R. McCormick’s grandfather, Joseph Medill, built the house in 1896 for McCormick’s mother Katherine. McCormick acquired the house around 1910 and extensively remodeled it in 1936. Upon his death, McCormick’s will established the Robert R. McCormick Charitable Trust, known today as the McCormick Foundation, which created a public park, museum, and philanthropy to foster communities of educated, informed and engaged citizens. The museum opened to the public in 1958.
The Programs and Education Assistant assists in creating, implementing, and evaluating a wide variety of public programs related to the life, legacy, and impact of Chicago Tribune Editor and Publisher, Robert R. McCormick. This role also supports core operational functions at the museum, such as coordinating events and tours, processing and updating collection objects, and general gallery upkeep. The ideal candidate enjoys interacting with a wide array of museum visitors, keeping them engaged with content, and providing compelling experiences.
- Facilitate public programs including, but not limited to: ‘drop-in’ tours, school field trips, in-classroom instruction, scout and general population programs, and other special events
- Assist Museum Educator with evaluation and revision of education programs and materials
- Aid Museum Educator with processing and inventory of education collection objects; maintain, replace, and update materials as needed
- Ensure the museum maintains an orderly physical appearance, this includes tasks like keeping brochure and handout supplies current and general gallery upkeep
- Provide help to staff with the set-up and breakdown for McCormick House events
- Mentor fellow McCormick House colleagues and volunteer docents
- Proactively engage visitors and initiate conversations to provide an exceptional visitor experience
- Provides for personal safety in the workplace by attending and completing all required safety training, knowing and following existing safety rules including the applicable use of personal protection equipment, and reporting any unsafe conditions to Director of Museum Operations
- Minimum two years of experience specifically in education, history, museum studies and/or collections, theater or other related experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Demonstrated interest in learning and sharing non-military history with visitors
- Strong interpersonal skills and customer service orientation, including willingness to interact with groups of children and other diverse groups of visitors for long periods of time
- Proactive, self-starter who can work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to incorporate McCormick Foundation organizational values in daily work performance
- Strong computer skills and comfort using the internet, and programs such as Microsoft Office Suite
- Must be available to work weekends as well as some hours outside normal business hours, we are specifically seeking someone with Friday availability.
- Must be able physically able to lift and maneuver 30 lbs.
- All offers are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check and drug screening
Schedule and Benefits
This is a part-time position available for 20-29 hours per week (not to exceed a maximum of 990 hours per year). After 30 days of employment, one hour of paid time off (PTO) will be earned for every 40 hours worked. PTO hours can be used for personal, sick, vacation, or holiday time.
To apply: submit a resume and cover letter to mfresumes[at]mccormickfoundation.org
Cantigny Park and the Robert R. McCormick Foundation provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, individuals with disabilities, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital and housing status.
Cantigny Park, part of the Robert R. McCormick Foundation, is the 500-acre Wheaton estate of Robert R. McCormick. It is home to the McCormick House, First Division Museum, formal gardens, picnic grounds, walking trails and a Visitors Center with banquet and dining facilities.
The Robert R. McCormick Foundation is dedicated to fostering communities of educated, informed, and engaged citizens. Through philanthropic grant-making and Cantigny Park, the Foundation works to make life better in Chicagoland. The McCormick Foundation, among the nation’s largest foundations with more than $1.5 billion in assets, was established in 1955 upon the death of Col. Robert R. McCormick, the longtime editor and publisher of the Chicago Tribune. The Foundation awards about $55 million a year across five grantmaking program areas.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $14.00 /hour