This is a temporary position, 40 hours per week, expected to run May 20 through September 2, 2019. History Nebraska and Chimney Rock are seeking a friendly and enthusiastic seasonal tourism guide. The guide will share information with visitors and give tours, answering questions about the site and its historical significance. The guide will assist with retail sales and stocking of the gift shop. Pay is commensurate with education and experience, if approved. Work schedule 5 days per week, 9 am – 5:30 pm Days negotiable, weekends typically required History Nebraska is a statewide educational institution that connects people to the past through our library and research center, conservation facility, interpretive sites, and the state archeology and historic preservation offices. History Nebraska preserves and interprets our state’s past, contributes to the education of its citizens, and uses the tools of history to shape a better future for all Nebraskans.
Examples of Work
• Greets all museum visitors and provides information on exhibits and events.
• Collects admissions and sells merchandise in the gift shop, providing excellent customer service.
• Helps stock and maintain merchandise on the sales floor.
• Presents informative talks to visiting groups and answers tourist inquiries and provides area and historical information.
• Maintains records, and conducts surveys of visitors’ opinions, interests, and needs for use in developing future programs.
• Prepares and assembles public display materials including brochure racks and display areas.
• Maintains appearance and cleanliness of gift shop and museum entrance.
• Answers the phone politely, and professionally.
• Assists with light housekeeping/maintenance/custodial projects at the site.
Qualifications / Requirements
REQUIREMENTS: Experience in public contact OR coursework/training or experience in history, art history, recreation, event planning or areas related to Nebraska History, geography or culture.
PREFERRED: Experience in areas related to Nebraska history and the American West, geography, and culture. Retail or customer service experience; money handling.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of, or desire, to learn Nebraska’s history and culture
• Ability to interact with the public professionally, work well with people of all ages and abilities
• Excellent customer service skills, outgoing and friendly personality