This is a temporary position, 25 hours per week, expected to run May 20 through September 2, 2019.
History Nebraska and Fort Robinson are seeking a friendly and enthusiastic seasonal tourism guide. The guide will share information with visitors and give tours, answering questions about the fort and its historical significance. The guide will assist with retail sales and stocking of the gift shop, and perform other duties as assigned.
Pay is commensurate with education and experience, if approved.
Days/times negotiable, weekends typically required
History Nebraska is a statewide educational institution that connects people to the past through our library and research center, conservation facility, interpretive sites, and the state archeology and historic preservation offices. History Nebraska preserves and interprets our state’s past, contributes to the education of its citizens, and uses the tools of history to shape a better future for all Nebraskans.
• Greets all site visitors and provides information on exhibits and events.
• Walks site and frequents all buildings to ensure all visitors have an engaging experience.
• Provides tours to visiting groups and answers tourist inquiries, sharing historical information and local tourism.
• Maintains records, and conducts surveys of visitors’ opinions, interests, and needs for use in developing future programs.
• Prepares and assembles public display materials including brochure racks and display areas.
• Maintains appearance and cleanliness museum entrance and outbuildings.
• Answers the phone politely, and professionally.
• Assists with light housekeeping like sweeping and garbage removal
• Serves as a back-up in the gift shop, selling merchandise and providing excellent customer service.
• Helps stock and maintain merchandise on the sales floor when needed.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
• Knowledge of, or desire to learn, Nebraska’s history and culture
• Ability to interact with the public professionally, work well with people of all ages and abilities
• Excellent customer service skills, outgoing and friendly personality
Qualifications / Requirements
REQUIRED: Experience in public contact OR coursework/training or experience in history, art history, recreation, event planning or areas related to Nebraska History, geography or culture.
PREFERRED: Experience in areas related to Nebraska history and the American West, geography, and culture. Retail or customer service experience; money handling.