The Cranbrook History Centre is hiring summer students to fill the role of Interpretive Tour Guides from May – September, 2019. This is an unique opportunity for students with an interest in history and/or museum studies, who would like to build a variety of new skills over the summer months. Student guides will be given the opportunity to gain experience and learn about the operation of a heritage organization. They will develop and learn new skills, such as public speaking, organizing groups, interpretive programming, conservation and restoration, collections management, office procedures and point-of-sale transactions.
Start date: May 14th, 2019
End date: September 7th, 2019
Salary: $14.00 per hour
Hours of work: The applicant will work 8 hours per day, 5 days per week. Since the museum is open seven days per week the applicant will be required to work a schedule that will involve work week end days.
Availability: The applicant must be available for the stated duration of the program.
• Deliver and engage visitors in an interpretive guided tour of the historic rail cars and museum.
• Maintain records used in the interpretive program.
Other Responsibilities may include:
• Undertake Visitor reception.
• Set-up and break-down events in the Royal Alexandra Hall.
• Handle gift shop customer service, maintenance, stocking, restocking and pricing
• Assist with the museum Social Media
• Archival research
• Other duties as required, including caring for museum grounds
• Must be a full-time student, between the age of 16 and 30, who is returning to full time studies in the fall.
• Prefer a background in history, museum studies, archaeology, anthropology, tourism, education or related field.
• Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills. Must be a team player.
• Must be able to walk long distances and stand for long periods of time.
• Have an outgoing personality, have previous experience working with the public, and the ability to work well with co-workers as well as independently.
• Not have another full-time job (over 30 hours per week).
• Be registered with Young Canada Works at www.youngcanadaworks.ca
Please submit your application to: [email protected] . Please use the subject line last name, first name job title. For example: Doe, John Interactive Tour Guide
Applications will close on March 30th, 2019
Please note that the staffing of the position and its duration are conditional on the approval of the grant application submitted to the Young Canada Works program.
About Cranbrook History Centre
The Cranbrook History Centre is an archives dedicated to study and research, and a museum that provides engaging and informative exhibitions and programs focused on the histories, peoples, and stories of Cranbrook and the East Kootenay region.