Working with the communications and marketing director, the communications coordinator is responsible for: establishing and implementing a digital media plan focusing on increasing museum attendance; working with all departments to ensure that WAM’s external communications support the museum’s exhibitions, development plan, programs, and gift shop; writes and edits content for a variety of platforms and promotional materials; assists with events.
Establishes and implements a digital media plan to support marketing efforts: (75%)
· Serves as the primary liaison with museum departments to create and manage a social media plan and digital platforms that support each department’s efforts. Experience with social media applications (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube) essential.
· Develops content and executes a weekly communications calendar, balancing key internal priorities with critical messages to keep audiences engaged, informed, and connected across platforms (social media, website, enewsletter, and print material)
· Assists in planning and implementing marketing efforts to increase attendance to the museum; promote education programs and exhibitions; increase student engagement by working with the WAM Collective; increase memberships, and sales in the gift shop. Graphic design, writing, and editing experience and knowledge essential.
· Edit and proof communications for style and accuracy.
· Serves as primary content creator and writer for online platforms including updating and maintaining website.
· Owning and growing our email list and creating specialty messages to specific audiences (donors, students, campus, education, and shop patrons).
· Execute impactful graphic design, especially for online communications.
Ensure external communications support museum’s departments: (10%)
· Serves as project manager for communications projects, ensuring milestones are completed on deadline and within budget. Administers project management software.
· Provides regular reports with data and analytics of online performance of marketing efforts.
· Inspires and coaches internal communicators to have an active community of content contributors – staff, consultants, and community members.
Assists with special events: (10%)
· Assists the marketing and communications director with promotional campaigns for museum exhibitions and special events such as exhibition openings, receptions, concerts, and benefits.
· Collaborates with departments on graphic design needs.
Other duties: (5%)
· Educates, trains, and supervises interns and other students.
· Keeps abreast of generally accepted art museum standards, policies or procedures in job area.
· Other duties and special projects as assigned by the marketing and communications director.
About Weisman Art Museum
The Weisman Art Museum at the University of Minnesota creates art experiences that spark discovery, critical thinking, and transformation, linking the University and the community.
Since its origin in 1934, the Frederick R. Weisman Art Museum has been a teaching museum for the University of Minnesota. Today, education remains central to the museum’s mission to make the arts accessible to the University and public communities.