As a Zoo Quality team member, you will be responsible for maintaining cleanliness of the Zoo grounds and buildings. Usually, work is performed under the immediate direction of the Rides and Zoo Quality Manager, but may be performed under general supervision once learned. As you go about your daily duties, you will have constant direct guest contact and must exhibit awesome guest service at all times.
- Safely operate leaf blowers, power sweepers, pressure washers, steam cleaners, walk behind vacuums and floor buffers(stripping, waxing, buffing)
- Clean buildings and service lavatories; mop floors, dust surfaces, and clean windows.
- Hand sweep interior and exterior area of buildings, and remove trash and debris from public areas.
- Clean and Service lavatory areas (public restrooms) and advise the Department Manager of plumbing or other problems that may occur.
- Use water hose to cleanse certain areas.
- Check lavatories and ensure they are stocked with essential supplies (paper towels, toilet paper, soap. Etc.) and advise the Department Manager of plumbing or other problems that may occur.
- Check lavatories and buildings for trash and spot clean.
- Remove gum off the asphalt and graffiti in public areas to include lavatories.
- Report and holes in asphalt or walkways and any other safety hazards.
- Clean debris from the tops of buildings and gutters.
- Follow all Standard Operating Procedures and rules.
- Set up and tear down of tables and chairs for meetings.
- Establish and maintain positive, cooperative, and effective working relations with fellow employees.
- Constantly exhibit a guest service attitude, a smile, and an obvious interest in guest comfort and service.
- Communicate with the public in a courteous and tactful manner and assist guests with questions and directions to various areas of the Zoo. Address the guest – do not wait to be asked.
- Remove trash and debris from public areas; i.e. pick up litter whenever you see it.
- Any and all other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- Ability to work weekends, holidays and occasional after-hour assignments.
- Able to understand, foresee, and apply necessary safety precautions applicable to the Zoo environment.
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively and appropriately while upholding professional standards.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with fellow employees.
- Ability to interact with the public and other staff in a professional manner.
- Ability to follow detailed oral and written instructions in English.
- Ability to develop skill in the operation of power equipment used in performing assigned jobs.
- Sufficient physical strength, coordination and agility to start, stop, and efficiently operate gasoline engine power sweepers and efficiently operate a floor buffer.
- Ability to perform work tasks while bending, standing, kneeling, squatting, lifting, twisting, reaching or sitting.
- Able to read, write and understand English.
- Valid Texas driver’s license preferred.
- Prior experience with floor buffer preferred.
- Prior experience with cleaning chemicals preferred.
Based on an 8 hour workday
Never = 0 hrs Rarely = 0-2 hrs Occasionally = 2-4 hrs Frequently = 4-6 hrs Continuously = 6-8 hrs
Corrected Vision must include:
Normal Distinguishing colors
Normal Depth Perception
High probability of exposure to fumes, dust, chemicals and/odor emissions from cleaning agents. Proper PPE provided when necessary.
Corrected Hearing skills must include:
Normal frequency sensitivity
Normal frequency selection
Able to perform duties under extreme weather conditions typic to south Texas and extreme working conditions.
Speaking skills must include being understandable when speaking:
On the telephone or radio